Friday, June 3, 2011

TGIF just doesn't have the same ring to it when you're unemployed

I remember when I was a 40 hour-er. TGIF meant something. It was like an old joke between friends. An acknowledgment of a grand accomplishment, that hope was in sight. Another weekend, at hand.

Now that I haven't worked for awhile, it doesn't have the same meaning. In fact, I frequently have to look at a calendar now to figure out if I need to take out the trash because it's "Trash Day". I know "they" say that it's important to keep up a routine when one is unemployed. Get up at a scheduled time, dress, get out of the house each day. All good advice. But, well, after awhile, all the days seem to look the same. Entire days pass now where at the end of the day, I couldn't really tell you what the ambient temperature was between my front door and the mailbox at the end of my driveway.

So today's Friday. And I don't have anything really cool to say. I feel like a foreigner practicing a language I learned in middle school but never learned to speak fluently. The cool kids (old folks like me too) post Face Book status' proclaiming (with relief and pride) TGIF! I guess I need to come up with some acronyms of my own. A shout out to my fellow unemployed. TGIM- TGIT....well, I'll work on it.

Just sayin. There are blessings in every phase of our lives. Soon enough I'm sure I'll begin using the cliche acronyms again as I walk out of an office somewhere, sigh loudly and call to a coworker across the parking lot...TGIF! and we'll smile a shared, knowing grin as we get into our cars...And I'll be quite pleased with myself that I got to say that. Or more likely, I'll heave a sigh of exhaustion, drive home, plop down in my chair and miss the "good ol days" when I didn't have to pay attention to what day it was.

A few discovered acronyms: (Because I have time for that sort of thing...being unemployed and all)


Today God Is First
Toes Go In First
Thank Goodness It's Funny
This Grandpa Is Fantastic
This Group Is Freaky
This Game Is Futile
That Gopher Is Freaky

And a short anecdote...


There was a young lady who was totally exhausted from a week's worth of work. Finally, it was time for her to end her work day and go home.
As she entered the elevator, she sighed a triumphant, "T-G-I-F...," and began to relish the thought of going home and relaxing the weekend away.

It so happened that there was a man on the elevator with her and heard her jubilant exclamation.

His reply to her was, "S-H-I-T."

Now the woman was not sure if she heard the man correctly and she was determined not to let this man ruin her beautiful weekend she had ahead of her, so again she stated more strongly, "T-G-I-F!" and glared at the man, daring him to repeat his obscenity.

The man made eye contact and stated matter-of-factly, "S-H-I-T."

This infuriated the young woman, so with hands on her hips she stated, "How dare you use profane language like that in front of a lady! I was saying, T-G-I-F...'Thank Goodness it's Friday'. What is wrong with you!?"

The man was amused at her outrage and with a smirk on his face replied,

"S-H-I-T. 'Sorry, Honey... it's THURSDAY!"

And with that walked off the elevator with a spunky step.



Here's to a great weekend...
Bloom where you're planted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment