Tuesday, June 7, 2011

So...pointless

So.

Have you noticed how many people are using the word "So..." lately? Seems like any "expert" I've seen on TV lately begins their portion of the conversation with this lead in....It kind of cancels out anything said just prior to it. Let me try to expound. I'm noticing it more in the medical and scientific communities, my guess though, is that it's sneaked into most every conversation...

Interviewer: We here today with this guy who thinks he knows stuff that we should know. Guy, what can you tell us about how this stuff really works?

Expert Guy: "So" here is where I belittle you in my attempt to share my excitement about how much I think I know.So...I shall erase the slate of anything you just said and explain how this works... blah blah blah

Now, I don't mean to trample on the the "so" person. In my experience they really do have something of interest to say. And to be honest, I do find myself joining them on their journey of intrigue at what they believe to be true. And usually I can find some place to ride on their magic carpet and incorporate some of that truth into my own quest. When I hear, SO, I'm immediately put off and intrigued. Maybe that's why it works.

There are words in our vocabulary's that seem to act like tics in our attempts to communicate. Sometimes we can ignore them. Sometimes, like when we're about to nod off from the content of the speech, we tally them.

There are other tics that are equally disarming and distracting. And I'm guilty of them all. (: (My Beloved uses, "ANYway" often and to his detriment.)

This is really a pretty pointless trip to a place that isn't so very interesting...but thank you for your indulgence.

So.
Next time you see/hear an expert speak. Tally on. But listen to what they have to say...it just might matter.

Oh and heavy on the cowbell! 
                                       So, ANYway....




No comments:

Post a Comment